The 10 Best Purple Shampoos (Top picks)
If you love your light blonde or gray hair, you know how important it is that you keep your beautiful colors free from annoying brassy or yellow tones.
We all know we should use purple shampoo, but I’m sure you’ve asked yourself: “does purple shampoo work”? You might be skeptical at first.
Best Purple Shampoos: Comprehensive Ratings Chart
Product / Rating
Joico Color Balance Purple Shampoo
Clairol Shimmer Lights Conditioning Shampoo
Scruples Platinum Shine Brightening Shampoo
Aveda Blue Malva Shampoo
L’Oreal Professionnel Series Expert Silver Shampoo
Light Blue Shade Shampoo
LUSH Daddy-O Shampoo
John Frieda Sheer Blonde
Redken Blonde Idol Mask
Sephora dpHUE Cool Blonde Shampoo
Verdict: yes, Purple Shampoo Works!
Choosing the best purple shampoo for blondes that will keep your hair glowing and healthy while maintaining light and clean tones can be a challenge.
The secret to choosing the best purple shampoo for blonde hair is to pay attention to the deepness and richness of color – a darker purple shampoo is more effective if you’re hoping to kick out frustrating yellow or brass tones!
The purple shampoo you purchase should provide you with shiny, freshly scented hair after every use. After all, coming out of the shower smelling like chemicals is quite an unpleasant experience!
Whether you’re a natural blonde, a silver fox, or a rocker of platinum hair, finding the best purple shampoo is the first step to getting rid of dull, unwanted yellow or brassy undertones.
We looked up purple shampoo reviews and gathered all our research to provide you with a source that has it all.
Here is a List of the Top Ten Purple Shampoos
1. Joico Color Balance Purple Shampoo
If you’re looking for a high quality, color-balancing shampoo effective for neutralizing brassy and yellow tones, Joico color balance purple shampoo is a good option.
Joico purple shampoo will not only target unsightly yellow undertones in your blonde or silver hair, but it will also leave your hair shiny and well-protected from frizz and color fading.
This Ultra purple shampoo product has incredibly positive feedback and customer reviews.
- Ideal for maximum brassy or yellow tone prevention
- Provides a thorough clean for anti-frizz and color enhancement
- Pleasant, salon-fresh smell
- Can cause hair to dry out without using additional moisturizers
2. Clairol Shimmer Lights Conditioning Shampoo
Shimmer and shine – that’s the goal of this protein-enriched purple shampoo for blondes. Clairol Shimmer Lights shampoo is particularly geared toward refreshing faded highlighted hair and enhancing and maintaining “ash-toned” colors.
If you have blonde or silver hair that you’d like to brighten and freshen, Clairol shampoo is a smart choice. Clairol is also a great drugstore purple shampoo if you’re looking for something relatively cheap but effective.
- Rich in protein
- Great for all light hair tones
- Popular with mostly positive reviews
- Has a scent often described as “chemically” and “soapy”
- Can stain purple without proper rinsing
- Contains sulfate, which can cause frizz and dryness
3. Scruples Platinum Shine Brightening Shampoo
If you’re looking for shining brightness for your platinum hair, Scruples shampoo is a great option. A bonus of this shampoo is that it’s sulfate-free, meaning you will notice less fizziness and color damage compared with sulfate-containing shampoos.
Scruples shampoo also contains chamomile and sea kelp extract, which is great for enriching shine and nutrients.
- Great for shine
- Dark purple for optimal color protection
- Pleasant scent
- Can leave blue patches if not thoroughly rinsed
- Less moisturizing than others – can result in dryness
- Can be somewhat pricey when not on sale
4. Aveda Blue Malva Shampoo
Do you like the idea of using pure flower and plant essences to give your hair silvery brightness while releasing a fresh, floral scent? This shampoo is made with a “pure-fume” aroma using essences of ylang-ylang, lemon and eucalyptus to give your hair a refreshing aroma using organic ingredients. Aveda Blue Malva shampoo is at a higher price point but delivers vibrancy and brightness.
This is a great purple shampoo for bleached hair.
- Effective for brightening and holding color for both gray and blonde hair
- Sweet, floral scents that will leave your hair smelling lovely and fresh
- Organic ingredients for increased gentleness
- Less intense as other purple shampoos
- Can cause a gray tinge if left in too long
- Not always ideal for hair with highlights
- High price range
5. L’Oreal Professionnel Series Expert Silver Shampoo
This a high quality, anti-yellowing shampoo is meant to work for gray, white, and very blonde hair tones. It offers an enhancement of color shine as well as softness and smoothness, including amino acids that give your hair a healthier look and feel. L’Oreal can be bought in a large quantity, so it’s great for long-term platinum blondes.
- Great for long-term use for platinum hair
- Deeply purple pigmented for maximum color enhancement
- Quickly effective due to dark tones
- Only available at your local salon or Amazon, which can make it hard to find and ship to your home
- Can be more pricey than other purple shampoos
- Can cause stains to your scalp and fingers
6. Light Blue Shade Shampoo
This shampoo is geared toward preventing silver, light blonde, and white hair colors from yellowing and fading. It boasts a new innovative formula that is meant to nourish and hydrate hair while also providing a sunscreen layer on your hair to protect it from UV rays, which is great for people who love the outdoors! Light Blue Shade shampoo is ideal for normal hair and eliminates brassy highlights for a high level of color enhancement.
- Adds hair luster and brightness
- UV protection for very light hair colors
- Light Blue Shade is a long-standing brand over 25 years old
- Doesn’t appear to be currently available on the main website
- Can be harsh on delicate hair
- Mixed reviews on Amazon
7. LUSH Daddy-O Shampoo
If you’re looking for the most purple of purple shampoo, Daddy-O can provide for you – and it’s vegan as well! This deeply pigmented shampoo contains extra virgin coconut oil, citrus juices and seaweed, which will help your gray or blonde hair feel softer and shinier as well as healthier and brighter. Daddy-O also offers a sweet floral scent of violet leaf, rose and bergamot oils while providing a thorough clean with each use.
- Pleasant, floral fragrance once in your hair
- Rich purple pigment for added shine and color enhancement
- Daddy-O is a vegan product and is not tested on animals
- Less moisturizing without additional dryness prevention products
- Can leave pink tints and stains if left in hair for too long
- High price range
8. John Frieda Sheer Blonde
John Frieda Sheer Blonde shampoo comes in several different look-specific types, such as Brilliantly Brighter, Go Blonder, Everlasting Blonde and Highlight Activating. John Frieda Sheer Blonde shampoo is meant to gradually lighten blonde colors and restore lighter tones.
- Offers a variety of specialized formulas geared toward your style
- Designed to preserve and protect color pigments
- Positive customer reviews on website
- Lightly pigmented, therefore less effective for brightening than darker shampoos
- Contains sulfate
- Takes longer to see results compared to other purple shampoos
- Negative customer reviews on Amazon
9. Redken Blonde Idol Mask
Redken Blonde Idol Mask is actually a form of treatment for damaged blonde hair in need of nourishment and color treatment. Unlike traditional shampoos, you will instead be using a gel texture mask that is meant to add shine and smoothness to blonde hair. Redken Blonde Idol Mask can also be used on hair with highlights to prevent the hair from having a brassy appearance.
- Provides intensive hydration for nourishing dry, damaged hair
- Contains kerabond and violet leaf extract for porous treatment
- Fairly positive feedback and customer reviews on Amazon
- Only sold at local salons and Amazon
- Very light mask and not as effective as traditional purple shampoos
- Contains a gel-like texture that can be off-putting and hard to rinse out for thicker hair
10. Sephora dpHUE Cool Blonde Shampoo
This shampoo offers the promise of yellow and brass neutralization for any hair color, from platinum blondes to silver or gray hair. dpHue can be used on both treated hair as well as natural hair using a violet-pigmented formula.
- Free of sulfates, parabens and phthalates
- Cruelty and gluten free
- Great for eliminating brassy, orange colors
- Lighter purple pigment and less effective for tonal change than other purple shampoos
- Can only be purchased online
- High price range
We’ve got a secret for you.
Silver shampoo vs purple shampoo… turns out they’re not all that different.
So, don’t be scared if you see “silver shampoo” when you’re out looking for purple shampoo. They do the same thing.
If you’re in need of purple shampoo before and after results that are long-lasting and effective, choosing a deeply pigmented and moisturizing shampoo is a safe bet.
Take out the frustration of brassy, yellow tones showing up on your silvery blonde or gray hair by choosing an effective and high quality purple shampoo. Although you should generally only use this type of product a couple of times a week, every wash should result in shinier, softer, and healthier hair.
Ulta purple shampoo offers great options if you’re looking for a purple shampoo that aggressively targets yellow or brassy tones while still being gentle and nourishing for your hair. Consider checking out purple shampoo Ulta products for shampoos you can depend on to keep your blonde or gray hair looking gorgeous and healthy.
There you have it – our top purple shampoo picks.